Topic: General Posts

Subject: MBA or MS in Finance??
Junaid Noor
Member: 2011
Submitted on 08-15-11 11:09 am
I'm currently working as a VP of Finance trying to transition into a CFO role. I'm interested in pursuing a graduate program and need some hep in deciding whether I should specialize with an MS in Finance or go for an MBA.
Any recommendations on the best graduate programs? I can pursue the EMBA in Chicago or an MS or MBA in Houston.
I would really appreciate input from those who currently have a graduate degree on whether or not the advanced education is worth the investment and how it helped your career path.

Thanks,

1  2  
Replies
Jonathan Buchbinder
Member: 2000

Subject: Re:MBA or MS in Finance??

Submitted on 11-20-12 9:26 am.
When I was in college, I was getting a BS in Finance. When I was applying to graduate schools, I had the choice of getting either a MBA or a MS in Finance. I spoke to various professors about the choice, and even the professor in charge of the MBA program told me I was better off getting an MS in Finance.

The logic was that an undergraduate degree in most business diciplines is a broad business degree, as is an MBA. They said that graduate school was time to specialize, not get another broad business degree. I can tell you that never has my MS in Finance been a question to an employer. They tend to look at graduate business degrees in pretty much the same vein.

So I'd recommend specializing and getting the MS. The only reason I would ever suggest the MBA is if it was from a marque institution...Chicago or Northwestern.

Jim Arnold
Member: 2004

Submitted on 11-20-12 4:35 pm.
I have an MS in Finance. If your goal is to remain within Finance, then I think they are considered equal. I have never been asked why I completed an MS v. an MBA and having an MS has not changed my trajectory. However, if your ultimate goal is to move into general management, then I would say the MBA is the better route.

Dennis Callahan
Member: 2012

Submitted on 11-21-12 3:12 am.
The thread of these responses follow the same general idea, and i agree!
If you are really a finance fan, the MS in Fx is for you. If you're concerned with an advancement track, an MBA is
more general, but presents you with a wide range of learning experience.

Best of Luck!
Dennis

Arnie Kezsbom
Member: 2010

Submitted on 11-29-12 4:38 pm.
Having stated that your career focus is to pursue a chief financial officer position, I would recommend the MBA program. If your career objectives were in commercial or investment banking I would recommend the MS in finance. You do not mention what your undergraduate degree is in but none the less the investment into a graduate program will pay significant dividends. Good luck.

Dipak Bhakta
Member: 2005

Submitted on 12-04-12 1:35 pm.
I got my MS in Finance many years ago, because I had a business undergrad degree, and at the advice of professors. However, I feel the MBA would have opened even more doors for me. MBA is more universally recognized by non-financial & non-academic types. At the CFO level, the hiring decision makers are often non-finance people (President, CEO, Board, etc.)

John Bula
Member: 2012

Submitted on 12-05-12 6:40 pm.
I will take a different viewpoint from the masses. You are paying for a credential and university brand name period. The norm is an MBA, but basically repeat the same type courses as an undergraduate curriculum, why not stand out and be different and gain new knowledge. Any top management offficial needs to know operations besides finance. It is my belief that if you can synergize a financial with a more technical area, you will be more valued in being able understand the whole business, which you must to be a CFO in the true spirit. I have come across too many typical CFO's/Controllers, etc. that need to sharpen their operational knowledge and skills and be more well rounded and thus more valued.

Bob Woerner
Member: 2011

Submitted on 12-14-12 10:03 am.
I have both an MBA and a PhD. I have taught for many years, part-time at several universities and have noticed the MBA to be more flexible than an MS. I think it really comes down to getting in the door! An employer may feel you majored in finance rather than accounting with an MBA though.

On the positive side, an MS track is usually shorter, from 6 to 12 credit hours or so generally. Best of Luck. Chicago is an absolutely excellent choice!

Steve Elliott
Member: 2010

Submitted on 12-19-12 12:02 pm.
All the best of decisions for you, I will pray you make the right one!

For me, I took 9 years off after getting my Accounting BSBA and also had a desion years ago regarding an MBA or a MS.

After much thought and prayer, I decided to go for the MS in Taxation, which to this day was for me the best decision.

I am a life long CPA who works mostly in Public Accounting.

The MS Program also gave me the ability to attend additional classes to gain advanced certificates in Advanced Tax concepts and Personal Financial Planning.

I applaud you for your determination and efforts to better your career.

Best, Steve

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

1  2  

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo