Topic: General Posts

Subject: EXPAT Questions
Steve Hemberger
Member: 2011
Submitted on 11-23-11 4:09 pm
Does anyone have experience in working in Europe? I am in the middle of the interview process and would appreciate feedback from anyone that has been through it.

Thanks

Replies
Robert Merrick
Member: 2006

Subject: Re:EXPAT Questions

Submitted on 11-28-11 6:41 am.
Hi - Hopefully I am not too late to help. I have lived in Europe for over 12 years now. You can reach me at rmerrick@mac.com or at +49 174 301 9235 German time (6 hours ahead of East Coast US)

Jim Mitchell
Member: 2010

Submitted on 11-28-11 10:45 am.
I spent time in London, and would go back in a second! It is well worth it going - personally and professionally! Call me if you would like. Jim 203 979 9287

Kevin Cunningham

Submitted on 11-29-11 9:23 am.
with GE I lived in Japan for 4 years and in France for 5 years.
I was on expat packages in both cases.
Glad to talk , I'm at 443 743 1821
in Maryland.

regards,
Kevin

Ranny Dwiggins
Member: 2001

Submitted on 11-29-11 1:36 pm.
I lived in Brussels, Belgium from 2007 to 2010 and would be happy discuss my experience with you. You can reach me at 509-951-9327 (pacific time zone).
Ranny Dwiggins

Jace Johnson

Submitted on 12-06-11 12:53 am.
Hopefully this reply not too late... I am an American that has lived and worked in Budapest and Vienna the past 16+ years for large multinational telecommunications players in a consolidating market. Had Regional CFO responsibility that included senior management HR (expats too). Can recommend certain pitfalls not to fall in... Let me know if I can help, and good luck.

Tom Chorba

Submitted on 12-08-11 10:56 am.
I have taken some expat assignments through the years and have thoroughly enjoyed them. However, it takes a special person to do them. You have to be very adaptive to change. Even further, you have to enjoy the diversity and differences that a new culture brings. If you have a spouse and family, that attitude also equally applies to them.

From a financial standpoint, you also have to be careful and know what you are getting into. If you are a U.S. citizen, your salary is still taxable albeit with some exemptions and foreign tax credits. Local costs can be much cheaper or much more expensive. My 3-bedroom apartment in Hong Kong was about $15,000 a month several years ago. There is schooling for children to deal with, And many other things depending on your personal circumstances.

Given the chance and the right circumstances, I believe it is a great experience and recommend it. Europe is generally easier to deal with given that English can get you by in most of the countries.

Brenden Hill
Member: 2010

Submitted on 12-08-11 12:18 pm.

I hope it works out well for you. I had a two year working holiday in sunny London 10 years ago and loved it. I was a contractor (I had my own company) so that may be a little different to your situation.

Good luck!

Regards
Brenden

Dave King

Submitted on 12-09-11 8:21 pm.
I spent two years as an expat in Italy--it was a great experience that I would not trade for anything. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want advice.

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo