Topic: General Posts

Subject: Credit history has suffered
Gail Weiss
Member: 2002
Submitted on 12-16-12 10:28 am
How should a candidate interviewing for a financial officer role deal with a credit history that has suffered as a result of job loss? Should the candidate raise the topic to HR or the hiring manager to defuse/ avert concern? If so, how and when?

Replies
Alex Merrill
Member: 2008

Subject: Re:Credit history has suffered

Submitted on 12-17-12 1:55 pm.
I say no. Some employers may not check or care, and for those who do I think it's an easy explanation that tough times call for tough measures. In this day and age, no one should be surprised or be judgmental on this. And if they are, probably not a great place to go to work!
Just one opinion...
- Alex M.

Jane Pedreira
Member: 2012

Submitted on 12-18-12 9:06 am.
I was told by a senior person inside a major bank that its better to raise the issue sooner vs later so no surprises at a later date. Perhaps its an integrity issue or to save potential embarrassment for the hiring manager? If you feel the credit reports are misleading, perhaps you can alert HR that your credit report is a bit misleading and you'd like to clear up any confusion as you are very interested in the position.

Dave Goldin
Member: 2003

Submitted on 12-20-12 8:42 am.
Gail, I have always worked under the philosophy to "never answer the unasked question" but in some cases it may make sense to do it. Matt once gave an example of a candidate who underwent a bankrupcy to pay for his wife's medical care as a case where disclosure was appropriate.

I live in Southeast Michigan and you can imagine the credit problems even very successful people have encountered. My take: if it was a missed house or car payment, but not a foreclosure and it happened over a relatively short period of time, why volunteer the information? Credit reports cover a number of years and if these issues were a blip, and this employer would have a problem with that, you wouldn't want to work for them.

Mark Mikel
Member: 2002

Submitted on 12-21-12 11:29 am.
In an executive finance position, the first tenet that we offer to others is "Trust Me." If you believe that a blemish on your credit or background could provide a dent to the "Trust", then disclose.

This is in line with the second tenet that is required of us all: "No Surprises." If you allow your future colleagues to find this "surprise" or news, they may question what else one may not disclose due to a variety of acceptable human factors.

Trust yourself and your past decisions. Be honest and forthright. You may be surprised that it will not be an issue.

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo