In case you know someone who might be qualified and interested, please have the candidate contact this employer, National Economic and Social Rights Initiative (NESRI), directly and follow instructions below. I will not give a referral/recommendation for anyone I haven't worked with.
In partnership with communities, NESRI works to build a broad movement for economic and social rights,
including health, housing, education and work with dignity. Based on the principle that fundamental human
needs create human rights obligations on the part of the government and the private sector, NESRI advocates
for public policies that guarantee the universal and equitable fulfillment of these rights in the United States.
(For more information about our work visit www.NESRI.org)
The Bookkeeper Consultant works with the NESRI Finance team and reports to the Director of Finance. It is
estimated that this will require about 20 hours a week. S/he will be responsible for many of the daily
accounting and bookkeeping tasks. Listed below are the primary responsibilities associated with this
• Creating and maintaining vendors in accounts payable system, including W-9 documentation
• Checking incoming vendor invoices for correctness such as coding, approval, accuracy etc.
• Checking employee expense reports and ensuring compliance with our expense policy
• Processing payments on invoices and employee expense reports in accordance with NESRI’s Expense
• Applying correct accounting treatment to all payments (expenses, pre-paid expenses, capitalizations,
etc.) and entering adjustments when necessary
• Reconciling accounts payable to general ledger monthly
Month End Close:
• Monitor bank activity throughout the month and reconcile all bank accounts to the general ledger at
the end of each month
• Allocate indirect expenses to appropriate cost centers at the end of each month
• Book credit card expenses, interest expense, and other miscellaneous income/expenses at the end of
• Maintaining vendor filing system
• Filling deposit slips for checks received from Business Development and other sources
• Receive and record donations
• Depositing checks in appropriate bank accounts via Quick Deposit
• Communicating Finance processes and policies to internal stakeholders
• Identifying opportunities to increase efficiency or provide more accurate financial information to
• Reconcile payroll reports monthly
• Other duties as needed or assigned by the Director of Finance or other members of the Operations
• Bachelor's Degree, accounting concentration preferred
• At least 5 years of experience in Non-Profit accounting/bookkeeping
• Proficiency in Excel
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2016
• Experience with accounting packages (Quickbooks preferred)
• Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
• Commitment to accuracy, attention to detail and follow-through
• Ability to work in a fast moving environment with high degree of flexibility
Additional characteristics we look for in all roles at NESRI:
• Commitment to the organization’s mission to build a broad movement for economic and social
rights, including health, housing, education and work with dignity.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and put Bookkeeper Consultant application in the
subject line. Please no phone calls. Please no recruiters.
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
NESRI values diversity and equity. We are committed to integrating the experiences and leadership of
individuals from communities directly affected by human rights abuse and recognize how it makes our
movement building work transformative, sustainable and relevant. Given our commitment to developing a
diverse leadership, we strongly encourage people of color, women, working-class, LGBTQ, gender non-
conforming, differently-abled, and all people from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
• $30/hour for a 20-hour week.
• Flexible hours with a Monday-Friday schedule.