Topic: General Posts
Amazon is a fast paced, dynamic, high-tech company based in Seattle. Amazon’s finance team is searching for bar-raising financial accounting professionals who consistently exceed expectations, who thrive in a challenging workplace, and who can actively contribute to our talented team.
Amazon seeks a Senior Accounting Manager to become a leading contributor to its Technical Accounting Policy team. This person will be a subject matter expert in SEC reporting and prolific in the application of U.S. GAAP. This person will be responsible for researching, documenting and implementing SEC staff positions and U.S. GAAP and IFRS pronouncements.
This is a strategic role for the global accounting organization, operating in a high growth environment and will require someone with the demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across functional and international teams to understand business transactions and to form well-reasoned accounting judgments and reporting conclusions.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, a quick learner, and will have the ability to efficiently manage a variety of high-priority responsibilities. Candidate must demonstrate strong project management skills and have high regard for customer satisfaction. A person with business acumen, curiosity and ability to influence will enjoy the wide aspects of this role.
Essential Job Functions
· Serve as subject matter expert with respect to technical accounting and financial reporting issues.
· Partner and coordinate cross-functionally to understand business transactions and communicate the nature of accounting issues with stakeholders throughout the Company.
· Research accounting literature and apply technical standards to complex business issues and transactions.
· Prepare technical accounting memos to support the Company’s application of accounting principles to specific and non-recurring transactions.
· Monitor the activities of the SEC, FASB and IASB to assess any consequence to the Company’s accounting and reporting policies.
· Prepare and/or revise global accounting policies and procedures to reflect new accounting pronouncements or guidance, to improve clarity or to respond to changing business circumstances.
· Ability to easily move between summary and detailed levels of work and discussions
· Degree in accounting or related field
· CPA with 9+ years of public or public and private accounting experience; preferably with a big-4 accounting firm and significant exposure to or time working in the technical accounting groups of their national offices
· Knowledgeable about projects on the FASB/IASB current agenda
· Significant experience with technical GAAP research and conclusions
· Big 4 public accounting or regulatory experience serving $5+ billion public companies or a leadership role in a technical accounting position with a Fortune 500 company
· In addition to deep technical knowledge in all aspects of the literature, a solid background in and emphasis on leases, variable interest entities and financial instruments/derivatives
· Demonstrated ability to write succinct, well-reasoned position papers
· Financial reporting experience
· Demonstrated track record of identifying and implementing bar raising improvements within companies
· Effective interpersonal skills, persuasive written and oral communication skills and, a demonstrated track record of effectively collaborating with and developing teams
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation