Topic: General Posts

Subject: Where / How to find small (moderately priced) jobs to fill in the cracks
Robert McDonald
Member: 2005
Submitted on 02-19-18 5:21 pm
I have transitioned to working remotely, because of a move to a state that was unrelated to my employment.  Initially I was working at home, however for various reasons (the discussion of which would fill its own thread), I have rented a small office.  I would like to pick-up some small work on the side.  For the next year or more, my previous employer will continue to provide the bulk of my compensation and take up 90% of my time.  As a result, I am not ready to transition to a full blown fractional CFO roll; however, that is a possibility in the future.  I am not looking for high dollar work, just some smaller stuff to help pay for the added expenses.  I would be happy if I could bring in an additional $1,000 a month.

My question to this august body of professionals is how and where would one find this type of work?  It does not make sense to put a significant amount of money and effort into marketing.  I am not set-up to, nor looking to bring people in off of the street.  Is there a “Craig’s List” for CPA and financial executives looking to work on the cheap?  I had a hard time composing this post, because I am not entirely sure of what I am asking.  So I would be happy to hear what anyone else has to say or thinks.

Replies
Joe Cater
Member: 2001

Subject: Re:Where / How to find small (moderately priced) jobs to fill in the cracks

Submitted on 02-20-18 7:42 am.
Robert, you might try Robert Half. Avoid the face to face screening interviews which tend to be self selecting. You have to churn through Craigslist a lot to get any nibbles. Local business associations and networks like chambers or entpreneur groups offer potential.  Just a few thoughts.

Robert McDonald
Member: 2005

Subject: Re:Where / How to find small (moderately priced) jobs to fill in the cracks

Submitted on 02-20-18 8:47 am.
Thanks for the reply Joe

Jackie Becker
Member: 2002

Submitted on 02-20-18 8:00 pm.
Yes, there is a section on accounting services on Craigslist and you could try posting an ad.  It's free and nothing to lose but the 5 min it takes to post. I've been doing fractional work for 18 years and most of my work has come from referrals. I would get a business card with Consulting CFO and hand out when you're at networking events or people ask what you do for a living. You can always say X but I'm slowly transitioning to be a consultant. You're welcome to contact me and I can give you some thoughts on what might work.

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo