Topic: General Posts

Subject: Outsourcing - Sales Tax Filings
Greg Silva
Member: 2015
Submitted on 08-07-18 2:54 pm

To All -

I'm looking for recommendations on sales tax preparers that you have had a postive experience with.   I'm looking into the possibilty of outsourcing the filing for approximately 40 states.   I am not looking for solicitations at this time, just the name of vendors you have been happy with so I can research first.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Greg

Replies
Steve Barger
Member: 2011

Subject: Re:Outsourcing - Sales Tax Filings

Submitted on 08-10-18 2:53 pm.
Greg, recently I have working with my company to get them compliant.   As we were filing Voluntary Disclosure Agreements [VDA] we needed to find a software service.  Our first venture was to go with a company called Tax Cloud.   To avoid fees, we registered through them through Streamline State Tax[SST].   Tax Cloud provides rates and files returns for free to us, but there are lots of draw back.   Tax Cloud recently changed their pricing structure and are charging for providing rates for the none member states of the SST.   Their customer service is awful.  The rates they provide for non-member states are limited, i.e. we were in the process of filing a VDA in LA & CO, both are home rule cities and Tax Cloud could not provide rates for cities we are not in.  Recommend not using Tax Cloud.     

Recently we researched several other companies.   Sovos was very high on my list.  We ultimately chose Tax Jar due to pricing.   We are in our third month with Tax Jar and currently are very happy with them.  

For those wondering, we are still with Tax Cloud for the SST Member States.   Since we filed through them, we are considered a model one filer, which means that for companies like Tax Jar and Sovos to file for us, we would need to go through the VDA route with the 24 member states and decertify with the SST.   For us it is not worth it for now, but may look into it at a later date.   We do not do a lot of business in many of those 24 member states.

Greg, good luck in your research.

Steve

Greg Silva
Member: 2015

Subject: Re:Outsourcing - Sales Tax Filings

Submitted on 08-14-18 8:28 pm.

Thank you, I will reach out to tax jar. 

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo