Topic: General Posts

Subject: Establishing a Risk Committee at my company
Vicente Freire
Member: 2003
Submitted on 01-23-19 9:25 pm
Dear colleagues,

I am looking for information and documentation that you can share on the structure, scope, roles, and responsibilities of a Risk Committee at my company.  We are a private equity owned company with relatively new management team.  Our intent is to give formal structure (within the company) to the existent Risk Committe as well as to prepare us for growing risk management opportunities .  Therefore, I would appreciate it any feedback on the matter.

Best regards,

Vicente Freire

Replies
Agnes Goldberger
Member: 2002

Subject: Re:Establishing a Risk Committee at my company

Submitted on 01-25-19 7:18 pm.
If you are still interested in setting up a Risk Committee, I would be glad to speak with you.  I have been a Senior Risk Office for the Financial Services industry for over 30 years. You can reach me at agoldberger9@gmail.com.

Thank you.

Agnes Goldberger

Roger Colden
Member: 2019

Submitted on 01-26-19 6:04 pm.

Hi Vincent: I'd be happy to discuss this topic with you as I previously worked at a large Southeastern bank and during my time there I helped develop and build out two risk committees: one risk committee was in the wholesale bank and one was for regulatory reporting. I'm in Atlanta and looks like you're in Houston so If you want to discuss via phone please feel free to email me at rogercolden@comcast.net or text me at the number below so we can set up a time to talk further.

Here's a high level outline of key components of a risk committee: to consider:

1) Purpose/scope e.g. is it an approval and decision making body or is it for information sharing, advisorypurposes

2) Meeting frequency - e.g. weekly, monthly, quarterly, ad hoc/as needed, both, who schedules and organizes the meetings

2) Membership - voting and non-voting

3) Members Roles & Responsibilities - what is the role of each member

4) Documentation e.g agenda, attendance, minutes, presentation materials, who is meeting organizer, how far in davnce are meeting materials distributed

5) Decision Making: quorum, approval authorities and voting delegation rights, escalation processif approval needed outside of committee authority-when and to whom,

6) Issues:  identification, issue owners, deliverables. due dates, monitoring, on-going reporting to committee, resolution

7) Stakeholder Communication: reporting and communication to other stakeholders outside of the committee, e.g executive management, internal auditors, outside regulators, other committees, project teams and working groups

Roger Colden

(678) 735-2311

Debbye Deister
Member: 2002

Submitted on 01-27-19 2:41 pm.
Please feel free to call me as I believe that based on being an investment type firm you will need to establish some risk analysis for review by the committee.

Happy to share my guidance as a fellow member of FENG.

Debbye Deister

925-408-7162 cell

Heather Stewart
Member: 2011

Submitted on 02-05-19 1:04 am.
Hi Vicente, 

I see you have a few replies with a Financial Services/Banking focus.  If you are looking for other industries, I'd be happy to speak with you, and have worked in Internal Audit and Risk Management for many years as a Partner with large global accounting & consulting firms.  

Best,

Heather Stewart

mobile: 415-320-5824

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/hjstewart/

Mark Wilten
Member: 2016

Submitted on 02-08-19 2:01 pm.
Vicente.

As a former Chief Risk Officer of a top 10 utility, I do have some insight into the things you should be thinking about.

Feel free to send me a few times/dates to set up a 30 min call.

Mark Wilten

mark@wilten.com

Pauline Dumas
Member: 2019

Submitted on 02-12-19 9:39 pm.
Are you looking for a service provider or a framework that exists within a member's company? Since a risk framework may vary from company to company, I suggest finding a partner that could perform an initial assessment. If you are interested, I do know of a firm that can provide that service. Feel free to send me an email if you want their contact info.

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo