Topic: General Posts

Subject: Insperity - Full Service HR Services
Kevin Kavanagh
Member: 2017
Submitted on 05-21-19 10:13 pm
Does anyone have personal experience with this software and related services?  Pro's / Con's welcome.  My client has 300 employees and is looking for my opinion.  I have asked the company for references, but we all know they will pick and choose who to use.

Thank you,

Kevin K

Replies
Chris Ferrick
Member: 2010

Subject: Re:Insperity - Full Service HR Services

Submitted on 05-22-19 1:45 pm.
Kevin,

We used Insperity when I was a CFO of a small consulting company here in Charlotte  that had between 10-20 employees at the time.  Overall, I was very happy with the service they provided, never had a hiccup with payroll, was able to get a better deal on medical/dental, etc. benefits because they can negotiate with the carriers better than we could. Their online reporting system that I used was very robust and I could customize the reporting I needed.  Being a small company, we didn't rely too heavily on their HR function except to onboard new employees which was very simple.  They definitely offer a LOT of options through their portal, but being so small, we never used a lot of them. 

Now I will say all of the above comes with a price, and Insperity is NOT cheap.  In fact right before I left I did an analysis of several PEO providers and Insperity was definitely the most expensive of the bunch, and my former company was going to switch to ADP.  Insperity also is not very transparent on what they're charging you per employee to have the service.  They bury the number and make it hard for you to compute, as it's not a set $ amount per employee, as it's tiered based upon salary, benefits selected, etc.  My new company has ADP, and I can tell you their reporting systems are AWFUL and it's like pulling teeth to get somebody to help you at ADP to find what you're looking for.  In many ways, I wish my current company would switch to Insperity, but I know they won't spend the money and want to cut back. 

Now most PEO's are locked into certain healthcare providers; Insperity was United Healthcare, but others are Aetna, or Blue Cross Blue Shield.  If that's an issue for your company, then having a PEO provider offering a nationwide healthcare organization is ideal as there are some areas of the country that have limited UNHC, or Aetna, or BCBS providers.  Overall, I liked working with Insperity, and never had an issue with them, but as long as you're aware they are the "cadillac" provider of PEO services, I think they're a good choice. 

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to me. 

Regards,

Chris Ferrick

lobwedge22@aol.com

(704) 650-8463 - cell

Kevin Kavanagh
Member: 2017

Submitted on 05-23-19 12:39 am.
Great info.  thank you.  My client has 300 employees and they (Insperity) have convinced them that not only will they save on Health Insurance Premiums but that they will no longer have an issue with their HCE testing for their 401K.  I am doubting both!  If the pool is now just a larger pool and the other members of the pool are also mostly blue collar with a handful of executives, the pool will still have the same ultimate outcome.

Thank you again,

Kevin K

Joe Roth
Member: 1999

Submitted on 06-14-19 6:40 pm.
I took a hard look at them for my 85-person business. Yes, there are some savings to be had in health care - at least in year one. One place they capture margin is Worker's Comp. If you have favorable expereince and a low mod, they self-fund and keep the margin for themselves. They may be right about the HCE testing, but I'd be surprised if that was an issue with 300 EEs. If it is, that's probably due to a low particpation rate, which they won't fix. A lso looked at ADP and found them to be a better solution - more services for the same cost. In the end, I decided not to go with a PEO as the savings weren't compelling, and most of the references (I found my own through FENG) moved away from this model to lower costs after a few years. 

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo