Topic: General Posts

Subject: Toptal
Dave Bishop
Member: 2019
I'm a new FENG member and happy to be a part of the organization. I have a screening call scheduled with Toptal which does remote finance work in addition to coding.  I'm wondering if anyone has worked with them or have gone through the interview process and can give me any impressions?  Thanks!

Dave Bishop

dbishopva@gmail.com

(m)301-943-6035

Replies
Jay Millstone
Subject: Re:Toptal

Submitted on 11-12-19 11:01 am.
Hi Dave,

I am also scheduled with TopTal this week.  Let's compare notes when we are done.

Thanks

Dave Bishop

Submitted on 11-12-19 12:52 pm.
The screening interview was a piece of cake, but I went ahead and took the Technical Finance test they give after that and did not pass.  Just not up my alley given the work I've been doing.  Some of it is pretty obscure, at least for me.  Good luck!

Amit Gupta

Submitted on 11-22-19 11:21 am.
Hi - I have been through the initial screening interview, test and a role play. Now I have been asked to prepare for a case interview, which I have submitted and scheduled for 2 Dec. In my opinion, the process is a bit childish, unless they do not trust what we put on our CV. A face to face discussion is much more sensible way. Nonetheless, its a process for a platform which we would like to be part of and hence have to go through it. 

The questions so far seems to have been relatively staright forward and requires one to be more of a sleuth. They have deliberately put in tricks to catch you out and hence need to be vigilant. I did miss couple of points in the role play but were quite basic and one would have thought given the senioriy they potray, this would have been presumed. All in all, its been fun to revisit some of the basics. Happy to discuss in more detail. 

Jay Millstone

Submitted on 11-22-19 7:36 pm.
Dave,

I had the same experience, the test questions were mostly not relevant to what I did and what I look to be doing.  Not sure which ones I missed, but probably would do better with more time (need to re-acquaint myself with some formulae that most companies probably have a software package for, or at least some Excel models already set up).

Dave Bishop

Submitted on 11-22-19 7:50 pm.
Jay, thanks for making me feel better!

Amit, good luck with the rest of the process!

Jay Millstone

Submitted on 11-25-19 4:36 pm.
Misery loves company!  

Good luck on your search and let me know if I can do anything for you.

Thanks

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo