Topic: General Posts

Subject: Short Tenure, Seeking Advice
Perry Hopper
Member: 2019
I am a Sr. Director of Finance, in my early fifties, with a good track record of staying at companies for over five years and progressing.  Early in 2019 I was recruited away from a good job to work for a new company.  The new company had intentions of pursuing an IPO.  I was recruited because of my experience with public companies, quarterly earnings calls, creating MD&A, and forecasting for EPS.  Three months after I started with the new company, the company decided to put the IPO on hold (in part to my forecast showing them earnings were going to be soft in 2019).  With soft earnings and no IPO my position was eliminated and I was given a package after only six months of employment.  The CFO is serving as one of my references and is willing to help in any way possible.  I am a member of FENG and FEI.

I am not getting any traction by submitting my resume, with only one response since September.  When I get in front of people the story makes sense, but when hiring managers see the six month tenure I'm assuming they are not interested because of the short tenure.

Looking for any advice on how to handle the short tenure issue.  Any helpful strategies?

Thank you,

Perry Hopper

https://www.linkedin.com/in/perryhopper/

Replies
Dave Bishop
Member: 2019
Subject: Re:Short Tenure, Seeking Advice

Submitted on 11-05-19 9:16 pm.
I am relatively new to the job market myself after a long tenure, but my instinct would be that you should address this in your cover letter in the second paragraph and be honest about what happened, particularly the fact that your forecasting ended up steering them away from the IPO.  As a hiring CFO, I know I would appreciate that.

Dave Bishop

Brian Long
Member: 2017

Submitted on 11-06-19 5:46 pm.
Hi Perry, 

I'm sorry to hear that and I wish that was the first time I heard of that happening to someone!

I agree with the previous person that posted.  I would briefly mention it in the cover letter.  One short-term stint should not be too much of an issue for you.

Good luck!!

Dev Rustagi

Submitted on 11-12-19 12:27 pm.
Hi Perry

Sorry to hear that. I would agree with the above points. You should clear this in covering letter along with reference to length of earlier roles. One short tenure should not be an issue. 

Best of luck

Bob Green
Member: 1998

Submitted on 11-14-19 5:19 pm.
I agree with the other replies, and keep the explanation short.  One sentence should be sufficient.

Best of luck,

Bob Green

Retired Internal Audit Director

Durham, NC

Cindy Miley

Submitted on 11-17-19 1:08 am.
Perry -

You've gotten some great advice from the other replies.  Definitely address the elephant in the room on your cover letters.

You aren't alone and I encourage you to keep the hope and continue reaching out to other FENG members to help with your search.

Cindy

Avani Doshi
Member: 2012

Submitted on 11-18-19 2:33 am.
Yes, you should definitely mention it in your cover letter as all have suggested. The practical issue however is whether your cover letters are actually read and if yes, to what extent does the reader "buy" the story.

One additional suggestion, if you can get it, is to have the CFO of the company that just eliminated your role write a letter of recommendation for you on his company letterhead that includes the fact that you forecasted your job to elimination and that you put the company's interests ahead of your own career prospects. If possible, even request the CFO to include an offer to be a reference check for any prospective employer in the recommendation letter. Attach a PDF of this letter along with your cover letter and now your story is grounded in truth from an independent third party.

Good luck with your search!

Avani Doshi.

Dave Goldin
Member: 2003

Submitted on 11-22-19 5:49 pm.

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo