Topic: General Posts

Subject: Recommendation for a CPA Exam Prep Course
Steve Literati
Member: 2008
Submitted on 02-04-20 8:48 pm
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a CPA Exam Prep course.

Replies
Dave Goldin
Member: 2003

Subject: Re:Recommendation for a CPA Exam Prep Course

Submitted on 02-16-20 2:21 am.
Hi Steve. I would recommend two approaches. First, a review course provided by a local college (maybe Pace has something?). Second, get a computer program that has thousands of multiple choice questions. When are it comes to review books, they are all similar.

Steve Literati

Submitted on 02-16-20 12:10 pm.
Thank you Dave.

Steve Rabin
Member: 2005

Submitted on 03-12-20 5:37 pm.
I recommend any software prep package that has TIME MANAGEMENT, that tracks where your study time would be most efficiently spent.
Also, if you are an older professional considering going down the CPA credential rabit hole you may want to first be aware that states have substantial additional hurdles to issue CPA license, and that until now the larger firms generally only hire new graduates from select schools.

Steve Literati

Submitted on 03-12-20 9:30 pm.
Thank you, Steve.  Good info.  Steve

Dave Goldin
Member: 2003

Submitted on 03-12-20 10:14 pm.
All great points from Steve Rabin. The 150 credit requirement can be a hurdle. Let me suggest that you start researching individual state licensing sites. For example, Indiana has two different ways of qualifying so that might be a possibility.

Also, not every state requires public accounting experience. Michigan just ended this requirement and my CPA is from Indiana because at the time, they did not insist on it either.  I already had significant professional experience and my overriding motivation was to get the license, not do auditing. Of course, everyone's reasons are different and there is no right or wrong answer.

Kevin Kelso
Member: 2014

Submitted on 03-16-20 2:48 pm.
I'm coming in kind of late with my response but back in my day teh Becker CPA review course got me over the hump and passed the final two parts of the exam after trying to do self-study. I'm not sure how it has evolved in the current age but worth checking out.  

Michael Bertha
Member: 2019

Submitted on 03-18-20 10:18 pm.
I too would agree that Becker is the way to go.  They have recorded lectures that enable you to watch and rewatch as needed.

Plus they are great at teaching you what you need to know for the exam.

Michael Bertha

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo