Topic: General Posts

Subject: Quickbooks Replacement
Jim Morales
Member: 2020
Hi all,

Looking to move off Quickbooks Enterprise and into the cloud. Looking for experiences from the group on doing so.

1. What system did you convert to?

2. What were deciding factors to get off QB?

3. Did you use implementation partner to evaluate vendors and then implement? Or did you do evaluation in house?

4. What is your feeling after implementation?

Any recommended consulting firms (especially if local to South Florida area) would also be helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Replies
Nicole Chandler
Member: 2016

Subject: Re:Quickbooks Replacement

Submitted on 07-19-20 12:01 pm.
Jim,

I have done a few conversions from QB Enterprise to QBO. These conversions were done due to server compliance issues. I worked with QB Hero on the implementation. An evalution was done in house. 

Please note that if you convert to QBO only one A/R account and one A/P account can be used when recording invoices or entering bills.

Regards, 

Nicole

Mike England
Member: 2013

Submitted on 07-20-20 7:50 pm.
Hello Jim, 

Moving off of QB is a big step.  I would recommend two applications:  Microsoft Dynamics SL and NetSuite.  A lot of it depends on what industry you are in.  Some are stronger in some areas, some in other areas.   None of them are all things to all industries. 

We have moved a lot of clients off of QB. 

I am a software concultant for a company called Velosio.  We work with both of these.  I would be happy to discuss with you and put you in touch with the right people.   

If you would like to give me a call, I would be happy to discuss with you.  Promise, no hard sales.  

Thanks

Mike

503-601-4081.

Meron Taffese
Member: 2017

Submitted on 07-20-20 9:57 pm.
Hi Jim,

Having had the extensive experience both as client (had three conversions) and now as a functional consultant/business analyst, here are insights from my experience.

• The deciding factors from switching from QB (or any other software) depends on each client; line of business; size etc., however, for us each time the decision to replace QB was because of growth and QB’s inability to scale up. We needed a system that’s in sync with our growth; streamline our processes, add new processes, etc. 

•  We did use implementation partners but also did our own internal evaluation as to what we needed the system to do and what the overall goal was.  One thing I add is the expertise of the Partners is vital in terms of giving you guidance technically what the system can do.

• Over my career in finance, I was involved in three implementations (Oracle and MS Navision); of the three, I can tell you one was a nightmare. Looking back, it was because the partners were not as experts as was initially thought. But once corrected it went smoothly; the other two while challenging were done as expected.

Now as a consultant, I can tell you that early involvement with the project is key to the success of the implementation.  Both parties would be familiar with both the system and the business processes and work towards the same goal.

As a consultant I am partial to Dynamics 365. I always liked Microsoft products (Navision was also a system I worked on) and I am partial because of its scalability, feel; easy to train on; its agility and ability to sync with Office 365 tools such as excel; outlook etc., features such as mobile apps; reporting tools etc. And the best part is easy for data migration (importing tools) and can handle multiple currencies etc.

The company I work for is called Avantiico, we concentrate on the west coast; but if you would like you can see the system for free by registering on our website Avantiico.com; which would be a start.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and feel free to reach out should you have any questions.

Regards,

Meron

Jim Morales
Member: 2020

Submitted on 07-20-20 11:04 pm.
Thanks Meron, this was helpful. I will check out your website. Dynamics 365 is in the mix but I hear it's more expensive than competitors. True/False?

I had one partner tell me 365 vs on premise version lacks features. For simple environments like ours we would be fine but anything more complex would require on premise version. What's your take? Sounded like a way to pad consulting fees honestly as I thought all vendors were moving to cloud vs on premise. 

Meron Taffese
Member: 2017

Submitted on 07-20-20 11:39 pm.
Hi Jim,

the price...certainly depends on the license requirements, but certainly cheaper than the competition:)  But you need to check out how many licenses you need.

As to the on premises question; certainly not true.  Cloud is the preferred way; unless its a properitary feature(software) that I am not aware of.

check out our website.  If you would like we can arrange a session for you as well.  Just register on the website and if you would like email me your contact info at MTA@avantiico.com and can arrange a client rep to give you a virtual tour.

Regards

Meron

Rob Tearle
Member: 2008

Submitted on 07-21-20 10:45 am.
Hi Jim

I have used and migrated to both Microsoft NAV (around 5 years ago) and NetSuite. NetSuite was built for the Cloud so has all its updates across the client base seemlessly whereas from what I understand NAV is a hosted solution still so upgrades are more problematic. There are two additional things in particular that are great about NetSuite - 1) if have multiple entities the consolidation is truly drill down from the parent and 2) the ease of adding SuiteApps through API's without IT involvement to your expense management solution; P2P; HR and Management reporting (highly recommend Solution7. NetSuite offer signicant discounts off list and their professional services team is great. It is helpful to have your own functional consultant to work with too particularly in building the migration files for upload.

I am based out of the UK so do not have someone to recommend locally. Definitely worth the money as Xero and NetSuite have shown the way in cloud finance systems and can attract finance talent without empire building/ keep lean.

Thanks

Rob Tearle

Susan Cherry
Member: 2006

Submitted on 07-28-20 10:32 pm.
At my last position, I moved two merged companies off their QuickBooks Enterprise and implemented NetSuite's ERP solution.  I was brought in at the start of the implementation, not the decision point, but I believe NetSuite was on the short list because the CFO had used it previously...

A lot of the terminology and processes in NetSuite are similar to QuickBooks so the training for the accounting group was easy.  But the ERP dashboard, and reports, and customization, and just overall functions are so much better in NetSuite when compared with QB.

Regards,

Susan Cherry, CPA, CTP

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo