Topic: General Posts

Subject: Looking for advice: 13 Week Cash Flow Software
Brandon Cradeur
Member: 2010
Submitted on 09-28-20 7:14 pm
Has anyone in The FENG network used a software to forecast 13 Week Cash Flows (13WCF)? If so, what was the name of the software and the pros / cons. 

I recall seeing a FENG email about a 13WCF software earlier this year or last year, but I can't seem to find it. 

Looking for advice. Any help would be appreciated. 

Brandon

bbcradeur@yahoo.com

Replies
Kevin Burke
Member: 2020
Subject: Re:Looking for advice: 13 Week Cash Flow Software

Submitted on 10-10-20 3:22 pm.
Traditionally these are done in Excel as cash flow considerations vary by company.  However, there are some ERP and add-on systems that will do the same work.  It is not uncommon for cash flow planning to be an included module in most standard ERP platforms (i.e., SAP, Sage, Epicor, etc...).  Some other programs that integrate on top of your ERP can do similar things (i.e., Adaptive, Qlik, Hyperion, etc..) depending on what data is available in the ERP system.  The integrated systems are wonderful when they work, however, they require substantive set up and usually some cost.  The excel version costs $200 and takes about an hour for someone with experience in them to build it.  Updating from that point forward usually takes maybe an hour a week (depending on company size and data to reconcile).  Accountant who has spent time in a treasury function can do this quickly and efficiently for you.  After the model is built, all you need is someone to update the model.

Art Lorenz
Member: 2008

Submitted on 10-12-20 6:49 pm.
Cashforce has a cash flow module. Cashforce is geared towards larger companies

Robert McDonald
Member: 2008

Submitted on 10-22-20 12:16 am.
Brandon,

I'd be happy to discuss this with you more over the phone. I have worked in Corporate Treasury for 20+ years and built and used many cash forecasting models.

I recently attended a webinar held by Treasury Dragons where they presented Cashforce, Tipco and Nomentia. See playback below.

https://app.livestorm.co/treasury-dragons/the-treasury-dragons-do-cash-forecasting/live?s=cbdac455-83be-4230-b105-ac481d1859c9#/chat

Art's coment made me think of this webinar and Kevin's comments are spot on.

I recently started a new job and we use SAP which seems to have some interesting forecasting capabilities however I'm not sure how the functionality works for forecasting future cashflows beyond what would be driven from AR, AP, (maybe other planning modules, MRP,..).

I have also used some TMS's Treasury Management System's (ie.: Kyriba which had cash flow forecasting capabilities but we have to build an EXCEL model and imported it into Kyriba) to use its full functionality. Other TMS's systems also have forecasting capabilities.

I have worked for companies in size ranging from 250M to 15B in revenue and we always used EXCEL.

Hope this helps but let me know if you want to talk more.

Robert McDonald CA, CFA

Sr. Director Treasury

robert.mcdonald1@verizon.net

Brandon Cradeur
Member: 2010

Submitted on 10-22-20 1:27 am.
Kevin / Art / Rob,

Thank you for the responses. This is very helpful. I've built many 13WCF models and trained many staff to do so over the years. As Kevin pointed out, I've automated the data gathering information from the ERP system both with Business Intelligence Tools and SQL extraction formulas. 

A client is interested in managing their short-term liquidity and evaluating whether to build a 13WCF model in excel or implement a software solution.  I plan to evaluate the following: Cash Analytics (Europe), Cashforce, Tipco, Nomentia, and Kyriba. 

Thanks again. If you are in Houston, I'm open to grabbing a drink.

Let's stay in touch.

Brandon

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo